With all the country music and food references I’ve been in a rustic cooking mood lately. Here’s a recipe for baked beans that’s good enough to make any cowboy break into an impromto two-step. It works great as a side dish, or can hold its own as the main affair. This can also be cooked in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees – but I think slow cooking brings out the flavor.
A-Mazing Baked Beans
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
Cook the bacon, let cool and crumble.
In a large skillet, brown the beef with the chopped onion. Drain all fat.
Combine all ingredients into a greased crock-pot. Cook on low for 4 hours.