A complete healthy dinner with less than 15 minutes of work? Tell me more!
At least that was my reaction when my sister shared this recipe with me. See, we were on vacation in Hawaii, we’d rented a house for our family and wanted to make dinner there together each night instead of spending insane amounts of money eating out all night. But after spending all day in the sun sight-seeing, we didn’t want to have to spend an hour in the kitchen.
My parents, my sister and bro-in-law, and my husband and me in Hawaii
Enter my superhero sister with this recipe:
Balsamic Chicken with Baby Spinach and Couscous
A.K.A. The 15 Minute Wonder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breast (pounded, or thin cut)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 8 ounces baby spinach leaves (about 8 cups, lightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup chicken broth (low-sodium if you can find it)
- 1 cup canned (no-salt-added) chopped tomatoes with their juices
- 2 cups hot cooked couscous (we use the boxed variety that cooks in 5 minutes)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Season the chicken on both sides with both salt and pepper. Add chicken to the warmed oil and brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken, keep warm by covering it on a plate.
- Add remaining oil and garlic into pan, cook less than a minute before adding spinach. Cook spinach only until wilted (1-2 minutes max). Set spinach aside.
- Add vinegar, broth, and tomatoes to the pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook for 3-5 minutes. Sauce should thicken.
- Divide couscous evenly over four plates, then layer spinach, the piece of chicken, and top with sauce. Dinner is served.