I know I’ve been absent lately (more on that this Friday!) but I promised on Facebook to post the recipe I tried last week for these easy weekday night enchiladas. I give them a bit of kick with my favorite homemade taco seasoning (recipe below), but if you walk on the mild side, leave it out.
Cheese-Me Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (use leftovers, or I like to boil three chicken breasts in chicken broth – great flavor!)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion *okay to leave out if you are not an onion fan (we sure did)
- 4 cups shredded orange cheese of your choice (cheddar works fine, or you can go with a taco blend)
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can original RO*TEL, or you can chop 1 1/2 cups tomatoes
- Feel free to use a 1/2 cup black olives, I didn’t because my personal belief is that olives in any form other than oil are of the devil, but sprinkle them as you feel led.
- a dash of taco seasoning (either from your favorite premade packet, or recipe below)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a large pan
2) Mix chicken, onion, 1 cup of cheese, and 3/4 cup sour cream. This is when you’d put that dash of taco seasoning, but just a dash, don’t go crazy or you’ll need 5 glasses of water with dinner. Spoon this mixture evenly onto all the tortillas and roll them. Arrange in pan. Keep it to a single layer.
3) Melt rest of cheese and sour cream in a saucepan over low heat. Mix constantly (or else you’ll have hard burned cheese…have fun scrubbing that pan!) until a liquid mixture appears. Take off heat and pour over enchiladas. Sprinkle enchiladas with tomatoes (if using Ro*tel, please drain first, no one likes a soupy enchilada), and olives *shiver*.
4) Bake for 20-30 minutes. And eat. Yum!
*Fun Addition Alert*
I drained a can of black beans and used them both in the inside mixture and sprinkled on top. Delish, not to mention protein and fiber-ific.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (believe me on this one)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Mix all seasoning together. Store in airtight container and use as needed.