“Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.” –Anne Shirley
“Well, there’s no mistakes in it yet.” –Miss Stacey
My favorite part of the writing process has always been writing the first chapter of a story. I’ll often spend days or weeks writing and rewriting this one part before I can move on to the rest of the story. I just want it to be perfect. There is so much room for possibility, imagination, excitement, and surprise.
I guess the beginning of a New Year is no different. January first is like a crisp white page—the mouse bar blinking as we consider just what our hopes are for the next twelve months.
Any mistakes, failings, or let-downs from the prior year can be pushed back in our mind. They belong in last year’s trunk of memories. They aren’t allowed to infringe on the dreams we have today.
In fact, I’ve seen a lot of people posting about how much they hated 2012 and are glad it’s over. This is a little too black and white in my opinion. No matter how many terrible things happened in the prior year, there was good, too.
Both are always there – and like Miss Stacey reminds us – this year won’t be perfect either.
So as I choose to reflect and move forward, I choose to focus on blessings instead of dwelling on the bad that happened.
2012 – Blessings
1) After FOUR years of struggling with infertility, Handsome and I found out we were expecting our first child.
2) I signed my first full-length book contract.
3) I made the *brave* move to try my hand at writing young adult fiction – something that’s always been a dream of mine.
4) Handsome and I celebrated our five year wedding anniversary (love that man so much!).
5) I attended my second ACFW Conference and got the chance to meet and pitch editors of my dreams.
6) Handsome graduated (Masters) and now has his teaching license.
2013 – Goals
1) To bring a healthy child into the world (she’s due Feb. 1).
2) Take time to celebrate my debut novel releasing (ALSO Feb. 1).
3) Sign two new book contracts.
4) Get back in shape and be running 5K’s with Handsome again by summer (yes, I fully intend to become one of those crazy moms dragging my jogging stroller everywhere).
5) Devise a way to attend the ACFW Conference again this year.
6) Actively look for and celebrate blessings of all sizes in my life.
Well, I think that sums up the big ones for me. I have some more little hopes and dreams in my bag, but those ones are just for me and my journal.
How about you? Are there blessing from last year that you want to reflect on? How about hopes and dreams for 2013?
Occasional posts from the flesh. Info about my book releases, contracts, and covers.